Dan

Dan
Dan Gisvold at Bear Creek

Saturday, January 1, 2011

Rose Parade

Somewhere in the late '60's (my sophomore year in high school) Dan brought home one of his college roommates. On that day I met the man I was to eventually marry, have a child with, weather the Vietnam war with, and divorce. Kit (pronounced keet--short for Chiquito) and I dated for 3 years before we married.

During those three years (and I honestly don't remember what year) Dan and Kit got up one New Year's Day and drove from Lindsay to Pasadena. They didn't know exactly where the parade was but they figured they could find it. They didn't have tickets and didn't think they needed any. They didn't have much in the way of money and didn't think they needed any. They had Kit's little green Triumph so they didn't think they would need gas. Paying for parking never occurred to them. They had a great time on this unplanned adventure. The details of the adventure I have never been made privy to.

You see, they forgot to tell my parents or Kit's parents and no one knew where they were for about 15 hours. It was long before cell phones and besides, they didn't think they needed to tell anyone. They were in college after all.

Our parents were beside themselves. They felt completely responsible for Kit since he was staying at our house and they had no clue as to what to say to Kit's parents when they called!

When I told Kit of Dan's passing, one of his first remembrances was that trip. And the man still would not tell me the details! I will never know what happened in Pasadena. Rats....

No comments:

Post a Comment