Dan

Dan
Dan Gisvold at Bear Creek

Thursday, February 17, 2011

Scandinavia

I am really excited. I checked my "audience" today and found that someone from Sweden had checked out the blog. I hope they see this post because the Vocal Arts Ensemble is touring Sweden and Norway in 2012!

I bring this up here because Dan has been to Scandinavia. While he was in the Army in the late 60's-early 70's he was stationed in Germany. Mom and Dad took their first international trip and went to Germany to visit Dan. They took the opportunity to visit the home of Dad's forefathers (and mothers) in Scandinavia. I still have mom's reindeer boots.

Dan told me that when they visited Trondheim, a second or third cousin told the story of how Dad's grandfather (how can I clean this up) left three "fiances" behind. Each, apparently, was left with child and this all occurred (according to legend) on the night that grandfather left. (Hopefully, I was unclear enough to make the situation clear)

You see, Dad had contacted people that he thought might be relatives and, sure enough, they were. And what was more impressive is that each and every one of them opened their homes to Dad, Mom and Dan. Dan said he was embarrassed that his use of the English language was not as good as his Norwegian and Swedish cousins! He was also impressed by the effortless hospitality, the easy acceptance of others.

I am looking forward to the hospitality and, maybe, a relative or two.

No comments:

Post a Comment