Dan

Dan
Dan Gisvold at Bear Creek

Sunday, February 6, 2011

Super Bowl

For all the football we played in the backyard, I was the only sibling bitten by the professional football bug. I love it. I use to watch it with our father. I knew all the football rules and some of the plays. As a result, I was really obnoxious as the high school mascot. I wanted to watch the game and cheer the team appropriately (a first and ten cheer when the team was third and fifteen was rather inappropriate).

Bill is into high school and college ball and Dan was rather indifferent. Unless it was the Super Bowl. Then Dan enjoyed the game IF the teams were competitive. Most of the time he was on the road and got the game on the internet after he stopped for the night.

Dan didn't play football. He was not exactly built for the sport. He was too tall and too skinny. And if truth be known, he was a bit of a klutz. Even if he played end he had to be able to run and catch at the same time. Not Dan. He could fix anything mechanical but he would trip over his feet walking across the room.
So playing football was out. Watching football was in.

He, of course, rooted for Minnesota Vikings. (Dad was born and raised in Minneapolis- we rooted for the Golden Gophers and the Vikings or missed dinner!) Once Dan met Dad Mueller he rooted for the San Diego Chargers.

So in today's game, I can be sure that he would have rooted for Green Bay. Small town, close to Minnesota, sixth place seed, etc. He would have liked the game, too. He would have hated the turnovers.

Today I could almost hear him. Sitting on my couch. Grousing about calls, cheering great catches. Yeah, I can hear him.

1 comment: